Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I write stories many weeks...below is this weeks ...please pray for us as you feel led....

I am headed to Baltimore so rob can come in to work...will likely be there wed and Thurs nites...will try to post if I can..........


Code Red
July 19, 2006

Taylor is in the hospital at Johns Hopkins and has been since Friday and will be until Little One is born. Rob has a room at a nearby hotel so he can work.

Yesterday was a day! The men came to install the carpet in the basement. They were installing carpet because the DC floods a few weeks ago caused the previous carpet to be drenched, moldy and eventually removed leaving a concrete floor which the current tenant has not found to her liking. Surprise, right?

Rob got a kitty when he first moved to DC over ten years ago. She is loyal to him and to Taylor and is not particularly fond of anyone else. Skittish is probably a good word to describe her. The workmen had been told to be careful of this kitty, to be sure she did not escape.

Well the door was left open and the kitty was not to be found. I wandered the neighborhood in 100 degree temps looking for her. Rob and Walter (the workman) had a bit of a run in over the situation. I felt caught in the middle. Rob decided to come back to DC because of the situation, so he left the hospital.

Soon the cat was found. I called Rob.

He said he could not return to the hospital because there was a Code Red and all entrances were blocked.

The danger of fire lurked about. No one was allowed in or out.

There have been so many situations like that since we have found out about Little One that you would think we would get it.

These situations have not just occurred with Rob and Taylor, but also with Jon and Allie, and with Liz and Clay, and with Mick and me.

Just yesterday Jon told me that he and Allie have painted several rooms of their house the boring realtor beige they were told to paint it, so it would sell more quickly since he is supposed to start work at UNC in two weeks. A small scratch was on one of the walls and Jon got a cloth to wipe the scratch off. The paint came with it. He tried another area…same thing. The paint simply washed off! What is that!

Of course trying to do all of this with their five year old and a three year old is a task in and of itself.






But I have not yet learned to clone myself so I can be there to help as well. As even Jon said Little One’s life and the activities surrounding it take precedence over everything right now.

Today is Jon’s and Allie’s anniversary….happy anniversary!!

I was talking to Liz last night and she said that for weeks their house always has three or four flies in it. Even if she kills three or four, there are still three or four just waiting. A few weeks ago it was ants. Three year old Nathan would bring his mommy reports of other ant findings so she could do her thing and destroy them.

I won’t bother you with the details of Mick’s and my situations, but suffice it to say we had to call the police on a tenant at a house we rent out because he got drunk and started destroying walls.

But that is just one little story from each of our four families. And keep in mind they are the little stories. There are innumerable little stories and a few big ones as well.

Yesterday as I drove to their home after being at the hospital in Baltimore, I was listening to a classical music radio station. As I pulled in, all of the sudden this one beautifully orchestrated piece began to register with me as one I know. I began to sing the words that I remembered…

“…still that ancient foe doth seek to work us woe…his power and might are great….and armed with cruel hate…on earth is not his equal…”

Although it is a most familiar hymn, it took a moment for me to remember it as Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress is Our God’…

As the orchestra played on, I remembered another phrase….”one mighty blow shall fell him…”

I am sitting at Rob’s and Taylor’s house and will be heading back to Baltimore shortly. Luke spent the night with his Daddy.

There are many jokes about the red suited devil. But he is out there. He does seek to destroy. He is not a myth. He is real.

Since March I have had no doubt his hand has been at work in the life of Little One. Maybe Little One is the next Billy Graham. Only the Lord knows. But I do know one blow from my God can fell him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home